A point system to reflect the interest that Non Player Character (NPC) has in a Character, to do Focus on him.
Threat is acumulative and each NPC has independent own Aggro and Threat Values.
- A boss on battle has her Treat Values. Boss summons 4 spiders. Each spider begins with null Threat Values. Here, one Threat could be the difference between life or dead, Boss continue focus Tank, but spiders could not.
- "Aggro" refers to the amount of Threat you have on a Target.
- "The Person with Aggro" is the person currently being attacked or focused by the mob.
In terms of team play, particularly in Instances, a Tank is required to keep Aggro off the more squishier team members such as DPS, Damage Dealeres, Supports or Healers. This can be achieved through the use of specific spells that threaten the mob, high DPS, or a combination thereof. It is therefore the tanks first and foremost responsability to deliver high TPS.
You can use addons to view your Threat, either in TPS or % of the other team members.
For anyone to die at the Party, Team Play is needed:
- Tank --> Should try to hold the Aggro, trying to do most Threat.
- Others --> Should take care from get Aggro, no doing more Threat than the Tank.
¡¡To take more time to kill a Boss, is better than lost a DPS or Healer!!
- Threat Generated = 100% Damage Done.
- Only generates Threat on the damaged NPC.
- Threat generated = 25% of HP recovered (healing self, test with others please, 50% or 25%?).
- Only generates Threat if it recovers HP (Hit points).
- ¡¡The Threat generated is done to all enemies that are in battle again the character healed!!
- Take care when Party Members do low damage or low Threat generation, especially at beginning of the battle or using "Heals of AoE (Area of Effect)"!!
- Healing includes hp regained from pots, but mana regained from pots has no Threat per mana.
Provoke (Aggressive Creature)
- When an aggressive mob aggros onto a player they are given +1 Threat. This same Threat is given to whoever initiates combat with a non aggressive NPC.
Use of Skill or Object
- Using some ability or object causes +1 Threat.
- This includes all abilities and objects use; regardless of whether they heal, do damage or none of the above such as Mana Return.
Buff and Debuff
- Casting some Buff or Debuff causes 2 Threat. This might be the generic +1 for an ability use, then another +1 if you make a Buff appear.
- Using a mana pot causes +2 Threat similar to a buff and it does not matter if you have full mana or the pot restores a lot. This might be that any beneficial effect/Buff that appears on your bar gives 2 Threat.
Skills with "Each skill level adds to aggro"
Skills to do Threat
Skills to get the Aggro
Skills to lose the Aggro
Ways to Increase Threat
Ways of Low Threat
(This space is for add some strategies that you want to share) \b
- 110% of the tanks threat to pull aggro if you are in melee range, 130% of the tanks threat to pull aggro if you are at ranged.
Examples of Use
- Threaten - A knight spell
- old Forum discussion about threat mechanics (no longer available).
- PB info -An addon that, amongst other functions, lets you view your current threat generation.